The school opened in 1991 after Kuwait was liberated from occupying Iraqi forces. Dr. Kamil Al Rayes, the founder, sought to create a school of high caliber with a rigorous, and nurturing atmosphere that would provide opportunities for Kuwaiti and international students to gain access to the world’s best universities. During the first year, twenty-five teachers and 300 students dealt with shortages of textbooks and classroom supplies, an inadequate library and a skeleton curriculum. The school developed rapidly. In October of 1994, it became fully accredited and in the ensuing years dedicated professionals worked hard to develop what has become an excellent university preparatory school with 1600 students. The school relocated from Surra to its present location in Salmiya.
Dr. Kamil Al Rayes passed away in 1995 and on his untimely passing his daughter, Mrs. Samera Al Rayes MA. Ed became the Director. She and her brothers, Dr. Samer, Col. Zaher and Dr. Badri, act as the governing Board of the school. Each of the four Board Members is involved in the operation of the school. AIS has grown into a large operation of around 2,200 students and 350 staff and sustains a very open and friendly atmosphere.